Sunday, June 8, 2014

Golden Chandelier




I did this one last summer-ish for a good friend of mine.
  This really helped me grow as an artist too, I think, even if it is pretty simplistic. There was a lot that went into it. I guess it would qualify as a painting, but really, I did a lot of the coloring and solid work with colored pencils and markers. I just really liked the look it gave everything, I remember. I spent a lot of time on this thing, because I remember it being the first big painting on paper I ever did and had some idea of what I wanted the end product to be. A lot of the artists that I talk to and associate with, sit down and draw something that they already have planned to the detail in their heads, but honestly, I really don't draw that way most of the time. If I draw that way, it's usually for somebody else. I don't mind doing it though! It's actually kind of a challenge and I like that.
  I usually just throw on some colors--in the most literal sense possible--and then just sort of let things take shape. If an image pops up in my mind, sure, I will put that thing down, if I like what it has to offer, but I usually only have a rough idea of what I'm drawing until near the very end. Usually it ends up being surprisingly meaningful to me that way anyway.
I love all of the different techniques that people use to express their thoughts through art. It's pretty amazing if you think about it. Transferring dreamlike images from a person's mind onto paper, canvas and even cement so that every person outside can try to understand your view on things is fascinating to me. Anyway, hope you are having a nice Sunday. Try scribbling something cool today!

2 comments: